Do you like to teaching your dog some tricks? Want ideas for what to do next? Starting in March 2018, you and your dog can earn Stunt Dog titles!
What is the Stunt Dog title program?
Stunt Dog is a new titling program brought to us by Do More With Your Dog. Titles are awarded through performances in live ring trials that showcase tricks as well as the skills needed for your dog to stay and to focus under pressure. The first four levels are highly structured — makes it easy to started! Creativity and artful performance are expected at the Champion level.
What I like about the Stunt Dog program:
- It is VERY EASY to get started. No formal, fancy obedience is required — complete the required activities and earn the title. You can even reward your dog at appropriate times during your performance. Watch the video below to see what’s required for the Novice level.
- As you practice stringing tricks and skills into a longer “performance”, you build stronger behavior and more durable connection with your dog.
- Ever wanted to show off your dog’s skills at therapy visits, nursing home or just to your friends? Interested in Canine Freestyle? Training demonstrations? Develop your performance skills from the foundation on up.
Who can participate?
All dogs are welcome! If your dog can hop up on a pedestal (short table), he can participate. Although it can be fun and showy, dogs are not required to perform jumps or other feats of athleticism, especially at the lower levels.
Example of a Novice Stunt Dog run:
Wow, we can do that! Where can I earn the titles?
The first competition will be held at the TriDEx Trick Dog Expo at Purina Farms, March 2018. After that, trials will be held at various locations around the country.
More specifically for WOOFS! folks: I would like to hold trials at our Ballston or Shirlington campus as soon as April 2018. Trials can be any size, so ours may be only a few dog and handler teams. See, easy!
Are titles recognized by the American Kennel Club?
AKC is sponsoring the first competition at the Trick Dog Expo (TriDeX) in March 2018, and will likely recognize Stunt Dog titles soon after the launch of the program. The website currently says “AKC-recognition pending”.
– Learn more on the official site: Stunt Dog Competition Overview
– Join our Tricks class
– Request a Stunt Dog Competition at WOOFS! DTC
– Join WOOFS! Facebook group: WOOFS! Dog Sports & Tricks
Erica Pytlovany is a Certified Trick Dog Instructor (CDTI) and Stunt Dog Judge though Do More With Your Dog. WOOFS! Dog Training Center is not directly affiliated with Do More With Your Dog or the Stunt Dog program.